The Magic of DI
>> Friday, October 31, 2008
This year I was excited because I wasn't going to buy any costumes. I figured that I had enough stuff in the Box of Costumes Past for Hannah and Emma to find something, and that Ashley and Celeste were old enough to figure something out for themselves. The best laid plans...
Anyway, last Friday I took Hannah and Emma to the neighborhood Halloween party. In The Box I had found Celeste's old Cheerleading costume for Emma. I told Hannah to find something to wear. She insisted there was nothing. So, I looked in the box and found a Ninja costume Celeste had worn a few years back. Hannah absolutely refused to wear it (since when does she get a say?) I'm not sure why because it's totally cute. And everything else I pulled out she said didn't fit and wouldn't wear.
Hannah ended up going to the party as...Hannah. That's right, no costume. She chose this partly because she didn't like any of our costumes and partly because she was afraid that it would be all babies at the party and she'd be the only one her age and that she'd look like a dork in a costume.
After this, I asked Hannah what she was going to wear for Halloween since I wasn't going shopping. She informed me that Marjorie had a costume she wanted to borrow.
So, we went to Marjorie's to see this amazing costume.
It was the pioneer dress and apron that mom had made for Bonnie and Marjorie when they were little. She wanted to be a pioneer. For those of you outside of Utah, you may think that that was a good idea. But, here in Utah everyone dresses up like pioneers for the 24th. Which would make the costume look like not a real costume and a cop out. We searched the rest of Marjorie's Box and found nothing else. I told Hannah I'd think about it.
On Tuesday Hannah informed me that she had Activity Days the next day after school and that they were supposed to come in costume since they'd be going trick or treating for the food bank. Which meant we needed to figure out what we were going to do. After some discussion we decided to visit DI where we found some good stuff.
This means that I was done, right? Wrong.
Ashley comes home from school and tells me that since she has no costume she can't go to her friend's Halloween party, or with a different friend trick-or-treating. Which means that she'll have to sit home all alone, with no friends, like a loser, and that her life is over. I sighed, and decided to take her to DI too.
Then I thought about Celeste, who would now be the only one without a costume. And decided to take her to DI also.
I further remembered that Hannah and Emma were supposed to dress up in western clothes for school Thursday, and hoped that I could find that at DI as well. (In the Davis School District they aren't allowed to wear costumes to school for Halloween. But, apparently Reading Elementary decided it was ok for the kids to dress up as cowboys on Thursday? (The kids didn't have school on Friday.))
So, for the second time that day we went to DI (and Walmart and Target) to get outfitted.
It was a joy, but at least we met with success.
Without further ado, I give you:
First, we have Ashley, glowing in her Hippie attire.
Next is Celeste, the Inner Beauty Queen. (Yes, she's supposed to look horrible.)
Then we have Emma Jo, the Cheerleader.
And finally Hannah, the Little Old Lady. (Which is my favorite costume. And Hannah totally rocked it.)
When all was said and done, the kids had a good Halloween, liked their costumes, and scored a ton of candy.
3 comments:
They're all cute - but you're right Hannah's is great!!!
I looked so horrible. I'm glad I won't be dressing up like that again, but it was super fun to do my make-up and hair. Thanks for getting us costumes! ...neckerchief...hehe...
I like me!!
Post a Comment