Stayin' Alive
>> Friday, October 17, 2008
While watching the news last night, they had a story that I found interesting.
Apparently the song Stayin' Alive (think John Travolta) has the perfect beat for doing CPR. According to the American Heart Association, the optimal rate for CPR is 108 beats per minute, and more people survive if it's done at that rate. If you do CPR to the beat of Stayin' Alive you will be doing 108 beats per minute. They said that LDS Hospital has been doing this for 2 years.
They didn't mention whether singing along out loud (as opposed to singing in your head) has any added benefit.
As a side note, apparently Another One Bites the Dust also has the correct beat. But, they seem to feel that that would portray the wrong message.
1 comments:
At the hospital where I work everytime a baby is born they play Brahm's Lullaby quietly over the speaker system. I used to say that everytime someone died they should play Another One Bites the Dust. The idea never caught on. I don't know why?
Post a Comment