To nylon or not to nylon...
>> Saturday, February 28, 2009
...that is the question.
I don't know about any of you, but my stake seems to have a nylon fetish. I first noticed it at a combined ward YW/YM activity where they were talking about modesty. They were saying the obvious things about how you need to dress modestly and how your appearance reflects on you.
Anyway, one of the leaders chimed in with how you also need to make sure you wear nylons to church. Others started agreeing with her and I just sat there thinking "???"
I kind of whatevered what they said. Then at a stake conference a sister was talking about how wonderful the women in the stake are. How they even make sure they're wearing nylons when it's 100 degrees outside. ???
So, I asked mom and Marjorie if they'd ever heard of anything from the church leaders saying that we were supposed to wear nylons. They said they had never heard of that. We thought that maybe they wanted the girls to look dressier. I know there's a problem with Sunday dress becoming more casual, with some people wearing flip flops and a t-shirt with their skirt. But, how do nylons say dressy? To me most of the time they make the person look old-fashioned and frumpy. Maybe it's just because these little old ladies wear suntan colored nylons when their arms and face are bone white.
Since then I've been released from the YW. However, I think they're still stressing how the girls need to wear nylons because both Ashley and Celeste have been bugging me to buy some. I haven't personally worn nylons for a couple of years. I just flash my white legs to the world. I don't want to buy any because they're EXPENSIVE, especially considering how quickly they run.
I think I look very church appropriate on Sundays, even without the nylons. I wear nice skirts, blouses, heels, and jewelry. I even shave my legs. I make sure that my girls look nice and don't let them wear hoodies and flip flops (trust me, I've battled that one out with Ashley many times).
Have any of you ever heard of some church mandate telling the sisters they must wear nylons to be modest and appropriately dressed for church?
2 comments:
I think the women in your stake are preaching from their rameumptoms the precepts of men mingled with scripture. When KennaRae went on her mission she was instructed to send her nylons home because it was not healthy to wear them in the heat. You are doing exactly right. The whole point is to look appropriate for church and not the beach.
There is a verse in the Book of Moroni I think. Something like "And all manner of wickedness and abominations were throughout the land. The people no longer remembered their creator and stopped wearing nylons. And His judgment came speedily among them." You'll have to look for it. I'm sure it's in their somewhere.
Post a Comment