The Job Hunt
>> Thursday, September 24, 2009
I've been busy the past couple of weeks trying to find a job. Since I'm Weber alumni, they said that I could participate in the fall recruiting events this fall. Two weeks ago I went to Meet the Firms. It's an open house where a bunch of accounting firms come up to Weber and set up displays and talk with students about career opportunities. I talked with several firms and handed out resumes. After that I went to several open houses that some firms were holding for local university students at their offices. I went and schmoozed and glad-handed for all I was worth.
Most of the firms are hiring, but they're only have a few openings. After last year, I don't trust grades to be enough to get me a job so I've been listening to self-help CD's on how to be memorable, build rapport, and sell yourself. I don't know if they've helped, but I'm a little desperate.
Last week I had an interview with a couple of managing directors at JD Clark in Ogden. This firm specializes in doing the mid/back office accounting work for over a hundred different hedge funds. Today I had an interview with Tanner who is the largest local/regional accounting firm in Utah. I should be getting an interview next week with HJ & Associates, and in two weeks I have an interview with the DCAA (defence contract auditors).
I guess the JD Clark interview went well because I got a call today asking to come in tomorrow for another interview with a couple of their VP's. (YEAH!) I also think my interview with Tanner went well. I was told that one of the ladies I spoke with at the open house was very impressed by me and that I interviewed well.
I probably shouldn't be getting my hopes up, but I am. Especially when I look at our finances. Cross your fingers and pray!!
(By the way, a few months ago Carol told Tina that she is going to try and become more friendly with me because once I get my masters and find a job I'm going to divorce Travis and then I'll never let her see her grandkids again. Now does anyone wonder why I have a hard time believing her when she's nice to me?)
2 comments:
I hope you get the job! I'll be praying for you.
It sounds very promising! Good luck!
Post a Comment