Lions and Tigers and Bears...Oh My!
>> Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Celeste went to girls camp yesterday up near Kamas, and today I drove Ashley up to join them. There was a concert last night that Ashley REALLY wanted to go to with some friends, so in exchange for the promise of being my slave and radiating eternal happiness I agreed to let her go up later.
Anyway, today I drove Ashley up and sat around for a little while talking with the leaders until I headed home. They told me that last night when a different ward (who was on the opposite side of the campground from ours) got back to their campsite they found that one of the tents had been ripped open and a bag pulled out. One of the girls had left food in the tent and a bear had been in the campsite trying to get it. I'm not really clear how or where, but I guess they saw the bear and went to notify the rangers.
The rangers came and shot the bear with a bean bag in the face to scare it away and sent dogs chasing it. The bear, however, started circling around and headed back for the camp at which point the rangers killed it. All the girls at the camp were at the amphiteather at the time and heard the shot.
I guess the leaders were told that once a bear breaks into a tent, it has to be put down. But they also heard that the bear was shot because it was coming back. I'm not sure which reason it was or a combination of both.
The girls were very sad over it and felt bad for the bear. Travis tells me that that's the difference between boys and girls -- that the boys would have wanted to know if they could go skin it.
Anyway, girls camp is still on and the girls haven't been sent home. Celeste told me that this didn't really scare her, at least until she had to walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
1 comments:
I think they are a little more liberal in shooting bears in Utah than they are in California. When we were camping near Yosemite we had a bear steal my in-law's ice chest, eat the salmon and drink the beer. The next night I could have touched it if there had not been the tent wall between us (like that is really safe.)
Post a Comment